What is the Open Data & Environment challenge ?
In the world of open data, the 2010s saw us overcome a great challenge: the freedom of movement of open data was greatly expanded. Today many countries, France first, set up national access points for open data; the main issue now is how to take advantage of it.
Open data can be a useful raw material in several fields, including epidemiology. However, these datasets, in particular with geo-spatial typology, could not have standard criteria of Open data (absence of UUID, updates, broken links, etc.) preventing their analysis in good conditions. Furthermore, request tools can not permit a good exploitation because of their lack of functionalities.
We propose to challengers to produce epidemiologic datasets, useful to researchers interested in cancer risk factors.
Discover Bastien Rance & Hector Countouris Interview from Geocancer
To structure useful, relevant and available open data for the scientific community in cancer epidemiology research:
👉 By creating an "cancer epidemiology" ontology. You can contribute to this effort by helping the open source project "OSIRIS".
- See the 20' "OSIRIS" presentation during Launch event
- See "OSIRIS" Github page.
- Consult Osiris Publication JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics
👉 By developing query tools (on open data websites based on CKAN) and/or web-scrapping to identify dataset on the theme of "cancer epidemiology".
The challengers will be able to illustrate the advantage of their tools with a use case. For example: extracting and mapping environment risk factors of one type of cancer.
🗂 A dataset or a catalogue of datasets with relevant environmental data.
🔎 Deepening the API of Etalab to request the data and maintain them in the time.
📈 Constructing “datasets-visualisation” associated to a map.
🔦 Illustrating the interest of the dataset by examples linked to cancer epidemiology
data.gouv. fr uses :
- l'API documented here : https://doc.data.gouv.fr/api/reference/
- The engine : https://ckan.org/
- The RDF ontology : https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/
Other data sources :
- International Institutions (WHO, world bank, etc.)
- Regions, cities open databases
- Epidemium previous seasons datas (for inspiration, few broken links)
- CNES (french space agency ) General access : HERE . More specificaly : [Copernicus (Database, Détails ), PEPS (For Sentinel Datas , RUS-Copernicus ] + contact private structures linked with CNES (WaltR, WeatherForces, Kayrros)
Check out the FAQs page for any other questions and don't hesitate to get in touch!